Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Nagar Palika - Birth and Death Registration

Registration of birth and death is an essential task that should be completed by every responsible citizen. People who register births and deaths in their family gain a few benefits compared to those who don’t. Registering such an event in the family also prevents inconvenience in future. For example, birth certificates are needed right from school admissions of children to applying for government documents like a ration card, passport, drivers license or PAN Card. Similarly, a death certificate of a close relative enables a person to claim the property, and acquire bank and pension accounts of the deceased with no hassle. This makes it vital for everyone to register births and deaths in their family with the Municipal Corporation or Nagarpalika.

Procedure for Registration of Births and Deaths in India

The Municipal Corporation (Nagar Palika) is responsible for keeping a record of every birth and death in the area that it governs. A birth or death may be registered by the head of the family or a close relative at the nearest zonal office. This has to be done within 21 days.

If a birth or death is registered after 21 days but before the completion of a month, a late fee is charged. To register a birth or death after 30 days but less than one year, the concerned person has to obtain the permission of the Commissioner. He or she also has to pay a fee. If a person wishes to register a birth or death one or more years after its occurrence, then he or she has to obtain the permission of a judicial magistrate. The concerned person also has to pay a higher fee. All birth and death records are monitored by the Municipal Commissioner who acts as Registrar.

All births or deaths that occur in a hospital, nursing home or health centre are informed by the medical officer in charge or a person appointed by him/her. In the event of a birth or death occurring in jail, the jailor informs the local Municipal Corporation of its occurrence. When, a death occurs on a road or in remote areas, then the person in charge of the local police station reports the event to the Municipal Corporation of the particular city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you. Please post a comment below to let us know what you think!